Pages

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

"Once I spat out a ginat lougie onto a cookie and said 'Eat it' and she did."

Mondays are becoming increasingly hard to cope with as the end of the year approaches. You'll see some examples of boredom to the max below but I would like to start by officially starting my countdown until spring break. I'm counting the number of classes/meetings/activities/important due dates I have until break. Right now the count is: 18. Which doesn't seem like a lot, but it is. For three days that's a lot. It's going to be a long three days (and Friday morning... 6AM practice).

So my day started with design. Which is cool, except when you're making platonic solids. Platonic solids are where you cut out paper and then fold it into cubes, pyramids, octohedrons and isohedrons and dodecahedrons and infinitidifficultihedrons. So we made cubes and when some of us were finishing those, he points out the next one we should try. So I start that, get it all drawn, cut out and creased and as I'm trying to fold it together, I realize there's no possible way that it could create a shape. I consult with other classmates who are at the same point as I am and we finally get the attention of Prof who asks, "Why are you making that one?" And when we tell him because he told us to (and he had to look around to see that everyone else was making the same one) he says, "Oops, I guess I meant this one." And points to a completely different shape. But I made the best out of what I had already made instead and came to this:
It's hard to take a picture of platonic solids because they're so.... Three dimensional. But there's my (almost) perfect cube and my awesomimadeupidecahadron.

Then drawing happened. And let me tell you. I thought this surrealism project was going to be cool but I was so wrong. Oil pastels are going to be the death of me. I simply can't work with them! It's like coloring with crayons but much much more complicated and the colors smear and get everywhere and my drawings always look blotchy and I can't draw an orange to save my life and just wow. You know it's bad when Prof is walking around, looking at people's progress and she gets to yours. I say, "I'm really struggling with oil pastel." And she looks at my work and says, "I see that." Luckily she then volunteered to help me which will be awesome. I was also in the drawing room from about 9:30PM-midnight working on my sketchbook assignment, I got three out of the four done and I'll share pictures tomorrow when they're all done!


So by the time my night class started I was about dead. I had to buy a Mello Yellow before class to kep me awake and I couldn't focus on anything Prof was saying so I ended up doing this instead:
Some more doodles. I'm working on mastering those one sided plane deals.
Attempt one: Partial success. Minus the part that is like, inside the shape I think it's ok.
Attempt two: Also a partial success. I think it's fine but I can't figure out if that little middle loop is physically possible or not. It looks cool though so I'll accept it!
I have to wake up early tomorrow morning to finish my video project and do some history reading before my 10:30 class so it's definitely my bed time. I'll end with a cool quote I heard today from Buddha, don't remember where but hey, it's Buddha:

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned."

No comments: