Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"I didn't know we were allowed to do that." "You're not."

Very unimpressive day marked only by about four events: news about New Zealand, track, Glee and a 10pm meeting.

If you haven't heard, Christchurch in New Zealand was hit by a large earthquake. Last I checked, there were at least 75 confirmed dead and some 300 still missing/buried. This is sad, first of all because whenever something like that happens, you have to have a black hole in your heart not to feel pain for victims and second of all because I feel a special connection to New Zealand because it is where I plan to study for a semester. (I chose a school in Wellington, which is a fair distance from Christchurch, but still). This video about it almost made me cry: (Sorry I couldn't embed it!)
 http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/special-reports/christchurch-cathedral-bells-toll-no-more-after-devastating-earthquake/story-fn7z04co-1226010368194
So I encourage everyone to keep New Zealand in their thoughts and prayers!


Track was surprisingly inspiring today. Every Tuesday we have a team meeting and this Tuesday, our coach really went above and beyond. Our conference meet is this week and even though we have a small team, expectations are very high. I found out today that our men's team is ranked 18 in the nation. WOW. But anyway, our coach talked about the "human spirit" and how it relates to pushing yourself to be your best. He talked about how being a champion is the most painful experience anybody can endure, but in the end it's worth it. I am not doing him justice by trying to summarize what he said, but it was exactly what our team needed before going into our biggest meet of the season.

Glee. I don't know what to say about it except that it was better than last week only because it had no Justin Bieber and it had Ke$ha (even though it wasn't that good). Plot-wise very bad but it made me laugh and like I said before, it had no Justin Bieber so that makes it better than last week. And on a side note, every time they play the trailer for the upcoming movie "Beastly" I keep thinking Chord Overstreet from Glee is the main character, see any resemblance?
Alex Pettyfer from the upcoming "Beastly"

Chord Overstreet from my beloved "Glee"

My 10PM meeting wasn't interesting except for the fact that it was for sketch comedy and we haven't actually had a show yet (we have one scheduled for March 25th but we also had about three scheduled for last semester so... Maybe...) but we're trying again. And I learned that getting an iPhone makes you an *sshole. At least for a month. And it corrects your grammar and makes you want to correct the grammar of those around you.
"Can you please do this for me?" "I can do that on my iPhone." 
"I need this next week." "I can bring it on my iPhone." 
"This will happen very quick-" "Quickly."

I'll end with the only solid quote I remember from coach's speech today. It really stuck out to me, even though I'm not a runner, it obviously can relate to just about anything:

"Man created time. Times you can run your race in. The human spirit wants to run faster, wants to beat those times. And it'll hurt. But it'll be worth it."

Oh double quote because this one was written on the board:

"The price it takes to be a champion is everything you have."

No comments: