Pages

Sunday, February 13, 2011

"I think you've flipped about 700 pancakes so far."

Yeah, that's right, it's true. I flipped over 1000 pancakes today (Saturday). I spent most of my day at the Fargodome with some soccer girls and Farmhouse Frat boys from NDSU flipping and serving pancakes for the Kiwanis pancake feed. This was my life for about five hours:
And when my right hand got tired, I started using my left hand. I am an ambidextrous pancake maker now. And I helped serve people at the second largest pancake feed in the NATION (thanks to Texas, we no longer hold the record for biggest). I had never heard of this before and I get here and over 12,000 people show up to eat my pancakes. It was HUGE. If you like pancakes and you're in Fargo this time next year, check it out. It was only $3 for all you can eat pancakes and sausage. Delicious.

Yesterday was a long day too. Four hour car ride to St. Thomas University. Six hour track meet. Four hour car ride back to Moorhead. Not my cup of tea. But it was great to get back into the spirit of track meets. The atmosphere at this meet was amazing, it was nice to be immersed in a true track tradition again. There were people there the whole time cheering and it felt like the good old days of high school track. I miss that. And I got to see a whole bunch of people from high school who were competing on other teams at the meet, and my family. It was kind of sad that I knew more people on the other teams than I know on my own team! But we did well, and if they had been keeping score, we would have completely dominated!

Speaking of a positive atmosphere, tonight's basketball games were also amazing. The girls game was exciting and we pulled away with a win. The guys game was even more exciting though. We were down almost the whole game, and then the second half of the second half we got a lead and held it until the end! Exciting. It was a great day to be a Dragon! (LOL).

And then I watched a movie. A movie I mentioned a few days ago called "Kabluey." And  remembered how much I really, really love that movie. So I decided to make a list of my all-time favorite movies. I limited it to ten and let me tell you, it was hard to contain this list, but here's my attempt (in no particular order):

Even my friend who wasn't a film major commented on how awesome the cinematography in this movie is (she didn't actually use that term, but it's what she was talking about). It is beautifully shot and everything looks just awesome. And the movie itself is adorable, funny and keeps an interesting storyline throughout. Probably close to my favorite of all time.

Amazing music. Amazing dance. Amazing acting. Amazing movie!

I just love this movie. It's probably one of the only movies I will watch anytime, ever. I never get old of all the jokes, and my favorite part is when Columbus tries to drive away on the motorcycle and falls into the bushes. I might get scratches on my DVD from rewinding and rewatching that so many times. Epic.

In the same style of Kabluey, this movie keeps an interesting storyline laced with subtle humor throughout. PlusRyan Reynolds is adorable, and Kristen Wiig/Bill Hader pair up in a classic duo.

This is the cover for the first movie, but it really stands for the whole series (I couldn't list all of them or else it would have been longer than ten picks. Sorry.). Toy Story was just something I grew up on and when the third one came out, I cried (multiple times). How will my life continue without Andy, Woody and Buzz?

This movie is on my list for a number of reasons. First of all, it's hilarious. It has the same type of subtle humor the both Kabluey and Adventureland has, but the climax scene is the most unforgettable scene from almost any movie, ever. Abigail Breslin makes a phenomenal debut and Steve Carrell plays a different type of character than his other projects. And Grandpa is hilarious. Just awesome.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a sucker for a good story. And there's no better story than an epic story. And this epic tale tops them all. Because it is a truly epic story. Completely spontaneous and unpredictable and beautifully shot (it took four years and 18 countries to film) it defines a modern epic movie.

If this movie isn't one of the funniest movies you've ever seen, something is wrong with you. That is all.

Once again, I'm a sucker for a good story. And Tim Burton. So naturally, the combination of both makes this one of my all time favorites. Plus the underlying message is different every time you watch it, and it speaks any type of motivation, at any stage in life. Lots of symbolism and allegorical type messages if you pay close enough attention.

What kind of person wouldn't have this on their list? Easily my favorite Tom Hanks performance and I cry every time I watch it, without a doubt.

If you've never seen any of these, tell me and we can watch them together. I have them all. And if you have any favorites, tell me so we can watch them together. I just really, really like movies.

I'm going to end with a really long quote from Forrest Gump just because it's the part that makes me cry every time, and my roommate's gone so I can cry without worrying about her walking in on me (scandalous!):

"You died on a Saturday morning. And I had you placed here under our tree. And I had that house of your father's bulldozed to the ground. Momma always said dyin' was a part of life. I sure wish it wasn't. Little Forrest, he's doing just fine. About to start school again soon. I make his breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day. I make sure he combs his hair and brushes his teeth every day. Teaching him how to play ping-pong. He's really good. We fish a lot. And every night, we read a book. He's so smart, Jenny. You'd be so proud of him. I am. He, uh, wrote a letter, and he says I can't read it. I'm not supposed to, so I'll just leave it here for you. Jenny, I don't know if Momma was right or if, if it's Lieutenant Dan. I don't know if we each have a destiny, or if we're all just floating around accidental-like on a breeze, but I, I think maybe it's both. Maybe both is happening at the same time. I miss you, Jenny. If there's anything you need, I won't be far away."

No comments: