Pages

Sunday, February 20, 2011

"If you stick around, we're giving away a prize worth more than an iPad or a car!"

GREAT WEEKEND. This might be an understatement. That's why the long gap between posts. I do apologize, but I promise this entry will be filled with awesome goodness.

This was a record breaking record for Dragon Basketball, no, really. Saturday's games were very eventful. (So were Friday's but, not as much as Saturday's). It was the last home game so we played "Fill the Fieldhouse" and broke the attendance record (1). Angie Jetvig broke 1000 points in the women's game (2). And Alex Novak broke the record for blocks- he's a sophomore (3). "Gear Guy" made us all wait until after the game to "announce a prize worth more than an iPad or a car" and ended up proposing to his girlfriend in front of the whole audience. It was priceless. Great weekend!

Friday night we held the "black light glow in the dark tie dye" party. Although attendance wasn't as high as we initially expected, it was still loads of fun. We replaced all the lightbulbs in the house with either blue bulbs or black lights. It was awesome. Here's our food/drink setup:
I know this looks totally sketch, but everything on that table was made by one of us, so I guarantee you, nothing fishy, only delicious. There are four types of Crispy Treats- Captain Crunch, Coco Puffs, Oreo and S'morez. There were two types of cookies plus haystacks and the long awaited "Dragon Drink" who's recipe will remain a secret... Shh... But it was delicious.

Pretty self-explanatory. I guarantee you, however, there was no alcohol in it.

Ok, I realize this isn't food. But when we parked at Menard's to get lightbulbs, we got this awesome parking spot. "Rockstar Parking" I believe it's called. And as we were leaving, we notice this hearse parked next to us- with a casket in it. Can a driver just do that? Just leave a casket in the car while they go to Menard's? Regardless, we were kind of creeped out, but also amused.

Saturday we went to this pizza place we had heard of, but never been to. It's called Spicy Pie and let me tell you, it's awesome. Three of us ordered an 18" pizza for $5 a person and ate the whole thing. It was just SO GOOD. We'll definitely be going back. And now that we know what Zeppolis are, we'll also be trying those.
Approximately 15 minutes later, this was gone. Disappeared. Just gone. And we probably could have eaten more. DELICIOUS.

I filmed a video this morning. It was fun, and my professor was right when she said that the only way to learn was to really get out and do it. Because there were a lot of things about being on set, especially directing, that I just never realized would come up until I got there. Like getting to say "Rolling... Aaaaaaand action!" whenever we want to start filming something. Or setting up a shot. Lighting. Everything we talked about in class came crashing down on me so fast I hardly had time to blink. But luckily I had some help and it went pretty smoothly without breaking anything. Now to learn Final Cut Pro...

Today I binged on iTunes. Mom sent me a $25 gift card and I just went bizerk. I got three whole albums, plus three singles. I have to admit, so far I am very pleased. I downloaded The Script's new release "Science and Faith," Mumford and Son's "Sigh No More," and Arcade Fire's "Suburbs." I had to try Arcade Fire after the Grammy's. And I love them! Not quite as much as The Script, but well enough that I'm definitely not disappointed. So those three albums plus some Lupe Fiasco ("Words I Never Said" and "The Show Goes On") and a song from Kabluey called "Some of them are Nice Days" by the Honey Brothers. Awesome. I recommend that you spend $25 and buy all of those things.

I guess I just have more music to talk about. Lady Gaga's new single "Born this Way" is awesome, catchy and I believe, unless I completely misunderstand what she's saying, about God. Could this be a turn for her? Not so long ago, she was riding disco sticks and playing love games. Curious... I newly discovered Ke$ha's "Cannibal" album this weekend, particularly "Cannibal," "Kiss N Tell," and "Blow." I don't think saying "I'll eat you up" will ever get boring. And Rihanna's new song, "S&M" while catchy and dancable, is really, really inappropriate. The words just kill me. There's a lot of information about her in there that I really didn't need to know. But when it comes on, you still can't help but dance.

I have my long day of class tomorrow. While the whole southern part of the state is actually buried under snow, none fell here and we actually have class tomorrow. Why can't we celebrate President's Day like the rest of the country? Or just get a snow day. Why does it just have to be ridiculously cold and windy here all the time without reward for it's inhabitants? Why, why why?

For some positive moral reinforcement I remembered this quote from Thoreau (I love Thoreau... Not...) and I decided that it was very fitting for me because I'm about 100% positive that the weather here is doing this to me, free of charge. But as long as being here and getting educated gets me somewhere warmer I guess I'll suffer. And in the future, when I have a nice job in California and it gets to 40 and the whole city shuts down, I'll be the one walking to work in shorts and a t-shirt, singing and dancing. So here you go, Thoreau:

"You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one."

No comments: